It is our school policy that all children wear school uniform when attending school, or when participating in a school-organised event outside normal school hours. We provide a complete list of the items needed for school uniform in our school prospectus.
Aims and objectives
Our policy on school uniform is based on the notion that school uniform:
- promotes a sense of pride in the school;
- engenders a sense of community and belonging towards the school;
- is practical and smart;
- identifies the children with the school;
- prevents children from coming to school in fashion clothes that could be distracting in class;
- makes children feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance;
- is regarded as suitable wear for school and good value for money by most parents;
- is designed with health and safety in mind.
The role of parents
We ask all parents who send their children to our school to support the school uniform policy. We believe that parents have a duty to send their children to school correctly dressed and ready for their daily schoolwork. One of the responsibilities of parents is to ensure that their child has the correct uniform, and that it is clean and in good repair.
The role of Directors
The Directors liaise with the Head Teacher to ensure that the policy is implemented fairly. The Directors will ensure that the school uniform policy helps children to dress sensibly, in clothing that is safe and practical.
On health and safety grounds we do not allow children to wear jewellery in our school. The exceptions to this rule are ear-ring studs in pierced ears, and medical alert bracelets and necklaces. No nail varnish is allowed.
- Hair must be neat, tidy and well groomed.
- Girls with long hair must have their hair tied back neatly.
- All hair bands and accessories must be red and blue.
- Boys’ hairstyles must be sensible and hair must be worn above the collar.
- The IJDS expects hairstyles to be sensible, and in keeping with the ethos and character of the school. Extreme styles, for example, shaved heads, patterns shaved into the hair, colours, lines, excessive use of hair products and false hair, are not allowed. What is considered to be an extreme hairstyle is at the discretion of the Headteacher.
All children should wear school shoes as stated in the uniform list below.
Red long/short sleeve shirt or polo t-shirt
Navy long/short trousers
Red blouse, shirt or polo t-shirt
Nav pleated skirt or tunic
Red and white check summer dress
BOYS & GIRLS
Navy sweatshirt or navy cardigan with school logo
Navy blue or black school shoes
Plain navy PE shorts (Girls may wear a PE skirt)
Plain red round neck T-shirt
Plain navy tracksuit
Navy blue or black PE trainers